9/17/2005

Mike talks, They listen

This morning, Mike noticed Rob's drainage chest tube was draining a lot more than it was before. He has had this tube since the 15th and it really hasn't drained much at all until this morning. He saw large amounts of what looked like old dark blood. The doctors came in and Mike told them about it and they didn't really listen. Then Mike told the nurse and showed her. She listened, called the doctors back and by then his blood pressure started to go down. We came in around 10 (my mom and I) and he wasn't looking like cute Robbie. He looked exhausted and wouldn't even open his eyes. His blood pressure was low. They started giving him blood and plasma. Probably half an hour later, Rob had his eyes open and looked better. I was in the room alone looking at Rob and started to cry. He looked at me and mouthed, "Everything will be ok, I'm fine." I just looked at him and started to laugh. It amazed me that he was saying this, when I was supposed to say that to him. His chest tube was still draining quite a bit. There were 4 doctors standing around discussing what was going on. They sent him for a CAT scan. This time with a respirator nurse, his nurse, and a doctor in the room. We felt confident we weren't going to hear a code blue code again. He did well, even adjusting the levels on his portable respirator as he was being wheeled down. He knows what he likes I guess. The scan did not show one specific area that was bleeding, He is now having more blood. They are trying to thicken his blood to stop the bleeding, but also trying to not make it too thick to affect the new valve he has.
Mike and Denise will update more when we switch places around 4 or 5. Thanks for your prayers and comments. We need them, he's giving us all grey hair. =)

No comments: